Saturday

Sunday July 23rd, 1977 Mercersburg


A few times a day I walk the perimeter of the courts to pick up balls. I love to look out over the cornfields to the north...off in the distance I see the Tuscarora Mountains. It almost looks like home, these mountains only rank as foothills in Idaho but beautiful nonetheless. Its always a time for reflection, I always hear the morning doves on these walks and in the distance I smell the familiar farm smells.



We woke with the great feeling of not having to work, that we can go to the courts and play. Sanderson and I had breakfast and then went down to the courts and hit for a half hour, then played a set. Even on clay, Sanderson's serve is too tough...he held serve with a late break and won 6-4. I need to stay with him and go for the break. I need to give him different looks and take him out of his rhythm. I was happy with the workout and by 11:00 we headed back to the dorms, because we had to get ready for the annual Sports Camp versus Tennis Camp basketball game.

The campers filed into the gym after lunch, Sports camp on one side, Tennis camp on the other. Sanderson was our center, Solomon Feinberg, and Day played forwards and Bobby, Roger, Mike Kunz X and I were the guards. Bobby D, and I played against each other in Intramurals at Idaho State so we know each others games quite well. Bobby is a good shooter, Im much better at defense. The game was close, we traded baskets and Sanderson had 12 points by the half, Bobby had 10 and I had 2, Roger had 4, and Feinberg 4. They clamped us down in the second half and the game went into overtime. Mr. B. dropped by to watch and he was snapping photos and was beaming like a proud papa. We scored first in the overtime but then Sports Camp scored 6 straight and ran out the clock for a 54-48 win. It was great fun and we proved to the Sportsters that tennis players can play. Mr. B came talked to us afterwards and said that this was one of the better basketball teams he has seen over the summers, that's saying a lot with Charlie Fenske,Marv, Skip and some of the basketball greats.

Eric Riley and Doug Hamilton played Bobby D. and I in doubles...it was a classic match up, Scotland versus Idaho State. Bobby played number 1 doubles during the year and had some great matches in conference, I played number 3 and we won our share, but we're both singles players and we didn't come to the net much, that's a problem. The Scots beat us 6-4.

I had a letter from Mike Zaladonis, a teammate from ISU. He apologized for our last match before I came to camp. We met at the Reed Gym Courts and I was confident coming off the conference tournament and thought I would roll over him, in fact he rolled over me 2 and 2. I thought I was playing well and and I ran to the net post I said 'lets play two out of three, there's no way Im losing to you today." That pissed Zaladonis off and he said you re on. I won the third 7-5, won the fourth 6-3 and won the fifth 7-6. As I ran to the net to shake his hand 2 hours later with a big beaming smile on my face, I held out my hand and he nearly broke my wrist. He said, I beat you, but this god dammed sticky grip..." we walked off the court both wounded, it was a victory that I won't forget. Mike wrote that he was upset because he had beat me in straight sets and was pissed at my cockiness. I wrote him back that the apology was accepted but I wasn't cutting him any slack, that I'll be kicking his ass in August when I get back. That should renew the rivalry!

Its a quiet Sunday night, the kids are in bed, Sanderson is still bragging about 18 points in the basketball game. Mr. B was out in the hallway a few minutes ago, he said that he had a call from Frank Jr. and that things were going well there and then both talked about the Jersey shore. That's just three weeks away and Ive noticed everyone is talking about getting back to college. I have to get back to ISU, I have a new coach to meet and the word is that Bobby D and I will have to walk on to play. Bobby took it as an insult because he was MVP and the number 1 player, I had to walk on last year so its not a big deal for me. Bobby is thinking of going to Texas Arlington next year. That's the world of college tennis, play to play.

No comments: