Sunday

Saturday July 23rd, Mercersburg Academy


We had to work today because we took last Monday off for the Washington Star tournament.

The day was cool and sunny and we worked on serves, overheads and lobs. Mr. B says when hitting the lob you have to hide the shot, you simply open up the face of the racquet with the same swing and follow through. The secret to a good lob is what you do with the left hand on the throat of the racquet. You have to make the adjustment with the left, that means that you have to make your mind up early and execute the shot.


We only worked a half day...which was great. After lunch Mike Kuntz and Mr. B broke out the video gear and all the counselors got to be video taped. For many of us it was the first time we've seen our groundstrokes. I was happy with what I saw...Mr. B had a few changes...he thinks I need to loop the firehand, I was dropping the head of the racquet and it was a 'back and through stroke, the loop should give me consistancy and power. My volleys look great, the serve looks good. Mr. B says my best shot is the backhand. I hit a one hander and can top or underspin at will...with the underspin I can lob or drop and its hard to read...Mr. B really liked that.


Mr. B was very impressed with Sanderson's serve, he says its amazing that he can generate that much heat...he says its his slow to fast motion. Mr. B. snapped photos of all the counselors before they hit. He's very good with the camera and snappes hundreds of photos that he gives out the campers...they're great keepsakes and my collection is growing.


Mr. B came to the net post today and chatted, he talked about the Jersey shore and the big family vacation. He says its an annual event and a great way to put a cap on the summer. He's says Mrs. B starts planning in June and all the kids show. Ive never been to the Alantic coast he says its packed because everyone leaves the NYC because of the heat. He said he was glad that he took Charlies advice and hired me, he said Charlie had called specifically to ask about me and make sure I was behaving. He said that I was one of his best 'recommends' and that I was a good guy..." a diamond in the rough', whatever that means!


Later in the day we were all on the courts playing, counselors, campers and there wasnt an open court. I was just finishing another match in which I beat X 5 and 5. Mr. B came up said that he got some rattlesnake eggs in the mail, they were in an envelope and he said he was afraid they might hatch. Being from the west and growing up on a farm he wanted me to open the envelope and make sure they were not hatching. I grabbed the envelope and opened the flap and heard a distinctive rattle, I threw the envelope in the air and let out a scream. Mr. B was laughing so hard that he wasnt breathing, his face was red and tears flowing. I looked in the envelope it was a rubber band wrapped around a paperclip and a button. I cant believe I fell for that one, but it was so funny.


After dinner I hit with Riley...I volleyed for an hour while he worked on his groundies. I kept every ball about two feet in front of him and got to check out his racquet prep, he is smooth. Afterwards Hamilton came out on the court and I was able to hit with him, he is steady and technically sound. He and Riley talked a lot about their tournaments in Scotland and how regimented and organized everything is...much different in the USA...here you show up and play.


We hit the showers and then it was time to go to the camper dance. I sat next to Bevin and we chatted the night away, I would love to see William and Mary College, it sounds like such a beautiful place. I had a long talk with Becky Craft, she goes to Wellsley, I would love to see Boston and her school sounds like an amazing place. I have a friend from High School that's going there but they dont know each other. If I had a million dollars I trust Beck Craft with it, she is so honest, sweet and cute, its an honor being her friend.


Lenny and I walked back to the Dorms and got all the kids on our wing in their rooms and ready for bed. He's just a kid himself...we are heading over to the girls dorm to watch SLN and then he's going to play the piano, what a talent.






3 comments:

EiSpy said...

OMG, the old rattlesnack gag. I remember that so well - total freak. I, of course, played the same joke on friends. Like father, like daughter. ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, rattle snake eggs... first time I remember it I was about 5/6 and he coaxed both me and Jim to open the envelope to much screaming and hysteria... Of course he laughed, Mom laughed, we cried...
Of yeah, its a keeper as far as pulling it on other people.

Jake Putnam said...

And here I thought Mr. B was coming up with something new!! Good material is hard to retire!