Friday

Friday, June 24th, 1977



I can’t believe its Friday all ready, this week is really flying by. We worked on volleys and overheads and when you have to hit several hundred balls before noon the day drags on and on. Xavier was on the court next to me and I could tell that he was just as exhausted.

I did have some triumphs; Mr Brennan’s method for the overhead is flawless. He tells the kids to raise both hands up immediately, track the ball with the left hand and replace the left hand with the right. The kids were timing the ball perfectly. In the demo Mr. B nailed it, both hands up, weight on the balls of the feet, sideways; replace one hand with the other. I had 7 little girls on my court and all nailed the overhead. They had a bit more trouble with the volley.

We broke for lunch, it was getting hot fast and I got to Forde Hall for lunch. I sat with X and we talked about France. He is a University Student, he’s been playing for years and one day wants to be a musician or an interpreter. We talked about French rock music and who he likes and dislikes. X is a very interesting guy and I like him a lot. He is very good on clay; he gets a lot of balls back.

I took a nap at lunch; I needed it because I was so tired. I had a much better afternoon. I stood next to Bevin’s court and we were able to talk the afternoon away. She told me that she is from Haverford outside of P.A. that her Dad is a famous artist with work in New York's Met. Her parents are divorced and we were able to compare notes on that. Mr. B came by and talked to her for a half hour, then came to my court and talked to me.

We talked about BJK and that first Wimbledon singles title she won. He told me that the previous summers she stayed at the house. He told me that with so many kids he hardly noticed he had another kid there. He said she was just another member of the family and he told me how fond Mrs. B is of her. Mr. B says BJK is successful because she attacks, attacks, attacks.

Sheridan came over and asked what Mr. B and I were chatting about; he says Mr. B must like me because he says he doesn’t chat much with counselors. I’m just a good listener and Mr. B is the consummate story teller.

At 4pm I hit with the camper Billy Sigmon. He is 12 and is a remarkable player. He hits hard and deep and easily beats the 15 year old guys. He has a funny personality, very loud and happy. Mr. B is fond of him. I like him as well. Roger loves to play him for cokes and I think he owes Roger at least a 6-pack, but Billy is so cheap he keeps doubling his bet. Roger is ruthless when cokes are on the line.

The kids are all going to the Mercersburg Theatre downtown tonight. They’re playing Jaws and it should be fun. A few of the counselors are going along to keep an eye on them all. I volunteered, the cute girls from Ohio invited Mark and I to sit with them it was such a cute gesture. The Theatre is at least a hundred years old with movies over the weekend. Bevin ended up sitting with us and she looked smashing and wore a long dress. Wow. After the movie we walked all the kids home. After we got the kids in bed the counselors all went to McKinstry’s Pub for beers, I was too tired and just went back to the room and read. I should have asked Bevin if she was up for a walk, but Im too shy. What if she said no?

No comments: