Tuesday

Saturday June 25th, 1977



I slept wonderfully and when I awoke my first thought was…no teaching today! Sandy I and walked down to the courts after breakfast and and played tennis. For the first time against him I took a set. His first serve was off a bit, that was just enough to let me in the door. On clay I can attack the second serve and make people run with a short angle and thats what I did, I hit the ball back to the corners and hit to the open court. I got him running but he should have took the match at 5-4, but I hit this really weak return and he came in and I landed a lob over his head to tie the match at 5-5. I won my serve and he struggled with 5 duce points, I finally hit a ball deep to his forehand corner, he tried to pass me and I volleyed into the open court. This was a huge set because Sandy has been beating everyone but Riley and Eric L.

We went back to the dorms and got ready for Saunderosa Park. Mr. B rented two buses and we drove to the park. Mr. B. talked to Peggy in the Dining hall and she made 129 lunches. It was a huge operation, Roger is our number guy and he does roll call when the kids get on the bus; and then again at lunch and then again when we board to go home. Its a lot of paperwork but Roger doesnt mind, hes good at it.

The Park has a large natural lake and a nice clubhouse with pin ball machines, juke box and snacks, the kids loved being away from the courts for a day. Bobby and Vrana, X and Lenny enjoy teasing and playing with the kids. The rest of the counselors just kept an eye on everything while at the same time getting a tan. I got scorched….I even went for a swim in that pond water. I think its safe. One kid caught a frog and he asked if he could bring him back, I ordered the frog released.

Saunderosa is in the mountains (hills) outside of Mercersburg and its very beautiful. The woods are very thick with ferns and all of the are thick and leafy. The skies clearrd and it got hot fast. I brought a blanket and set it down near Roger, he brought his radio and I was able to listen to the Philly game.

We got back at 4 just in time for Wimbledon on television. 40 campers gathered in the Fowle Lobby on the first floor. It was a great match and I was pulling for Connors, he fought like a mad man and pulled out the match 6-3 in the fifth over Stan Smith. The kids were disappointed because they wanted the mild mannered underdog to win.
We had at least 5 campers with sunburns, Tom S. and I took them to the Infirmary. After that I helped Mike Kunz set up the dance. He has tapes all recorded and ready to go. It took us about an hour to run the speaker wire and get the two decks hooked up.
Mr. B dropped by with two big containers of punch from the dining hall. He was in great spirits, was glad the day went so smooth. He is still upset that we are losing so many balls, he asked why wasn’t I on ball duty. I didn’t have an answer for him, he said he was going to talk to Sheridan about that. When I had balls we only lost three. He says we are down half a gross.
The kids started showing up. They were all dressed up in their sperrys and LaCoste shirts, it was the classic case of boys on one side and girls on the other. A few danced but they all enjoyed the music. I was asked to dance by Judy the camper, and then I asked Bevin to dance. All the women counselors looked lovely.
The dances are held behind the gym in the drying shed. The drying shed is where they dry out the football uniforms. It’s a big room just perfect for a dance. Some counselors patrol around the gym, others dance, others are on dorm duty for kids that want to stay there.

The dance ended at 11:00, I helped Mike break down and hit the sack by midnight. Boy am I sunburned and tired, we get to sleep in tomorrow!

No comments: