Thursday

Wednesday, June 22nd, 1977


This is what we do every afternoon at camp, stand at the net posts and supervise the afternoon matches. Its long and sometimes tedious. Bevin looks fantastic as always and is up for the task!

I limped to breakfast, I tried to put my tennis shoe on but it was too swollen. I got some more ice and had a good breakfast. I went back to the room and elevated the ankle and iced it for a few hours and it did a world of good. The swelling went down and I was able to lace up my tennis shoe.

I didn’t leave the room all morning, just read a book and listened to the radio. There’s a couple of great Fleetwood Mac songs just out that are amazing one is the song Rayana, I can’t get it out of my head. The other is the song ‘Year of the Cat’ by Al Stewart. “He goes strolling through the bar like Peter Lorrie contemplating a crime,” that’s a great line. I hear the album is very good, I wish I had a stereo here. Mike Kunz has his stereo in his room and I stopped by yesterday and listened to that new Earth Wind and Fire album. It has that song Shining star…it sounds so sharp in those speakers…and he has these cool headphones and the music seems to move from the back to the front of the room. I love music, but all I have is WRCV!

Sweet Pat Rountree showed up with tea and sympathy. It’s her day off as well. We went downtown for lunch. This little break from the teaching world and the kids is a needed change of pace. I swear, you never seem to have a moment’s privacy. We stopped at the laundry mat and put some clothes in, Pat pointed out that the colors don’t go in with the whites. I couldn’t believe how good the whites came out. She also showed me how to fold all of my T-shirts. I’m learning a lot from this cute Canadian girl!

I was in the room in the late afternoon and Mr. B. dropped by. We talked about everything. He was telling me about all the people around town, there is this woman named Jean that was at our adult camp, she lives down the road and she takes lessons from Riley. Mr. B says she is a very sweet and wealthy lady. I think she’s 38 or 39. She looks 10 years younger, she’s tanned smells good has a beautiful smile. Every time she drives by in the big Lincoln Town car she honks and waves. Mr. B thinks she likes me, But she’s just friendly. The boss says she’s worth millions.

Mr. B says one of these first evenings he will take me out to dinner. He asked how the ball situation is going and I told him that they took the duty away from Sanderson and I. He didn’t seem happy with that because yesterday he watched a carload of townies make off with 40 or 50 balls just before dinner. I feel sorry for whoever has ball duty; I guarantee they’re in trouble.
Tonight I sat out on the porch of Fowle, I pulled up a chair and read my book for a while, Liz and Eric stopped by and we talked a long time. I get the biggest kick out of Riley. He is very understated and modest...Liz is very good looking so it was great company.
When Tom got through with his duties a bunch of us went into Haggerstown, In the car it was Kenny, Solomon Tom and me. We called up Brenda and her friends and met them at the Plantation nightclub for a few beers, it was great fun. Its back to the grind tomorrow, ankle is fine.


No comments: