Thursday

Friday July 15th. 1977


Liz went home today, she tearfully said goodbye to everyone, she said she had waited all year to get back to camp but once she got here was sick, she said it just wasn’t fair. Poor thing, I think Prevost said it was mono or something like that. She’ll do much better at home where her mom can take care of her. Its so hard here because she needs someone there all the time and we are so busy teaching and taking care of the kids.


The kids from Hawaii are tearing through the tournament, Jimmy,Keri and Hannah Somerville and Brian Beall are here just to train for the National Clay Courts coming up next week. I don’t think any of the wonder kids lost a match. Mr. B is really high on the kids. Jimmy and Brian made it all the way to semis, until they met Rick Fanning, the camper that is here for the summer, He won the tournament, he has really improved because he hits with Tom Vrana every night. This Hanah Somerville is a Tracy Austin clone, perfect ground strokes, she won the girls tournament and should win the National Clay Courts.


Jimmy Connors is hurt, his left thumb is sprained so he is out of the Washington Star, that means that Vilas is the number one seed and the favorite to win the tournament. Mark and I are leaving on Saturday for Washington and we hope to hang out at the tournament as much as we can. We are working on our plans right now, Mark has relatives in Bowie so hopefully we can stay there.


The Camp dance is tonight, It should be fun. I have to go shower now and get ready. Tom S. wants me there to help Kunz set it up and I also helped arrange for the ice cream and punch. Mr. B is coming by in a few minutes and we are going to the dining Hall to pick up the punch from Peggy. Mr. B is in good spirits because he is driving down to West Virginia to try out a new restaurant.


Its midnight now, the dance was fun, Bevin was distant and for the first time all summer we didn’t dance or even hang out. I wonder what’s up with her? She talked to Mark and he said that she had a phone call from home that really drug her down, So a little distance is expected, she‘s just a little sad, she’ll talk about it when she‘s ready.


I called home but my Mom and Jerry were not there so I talked to my sister Brenda. Sounds like she is having a good summer, she’s so nice to me, but she has her moments. We talked about her accident, she was in a little car wreck but is okay, she banged up her neck, poor thing. I’m a bit homesick tonight, I tried to call Jim Hall to see what he is up do but his Mom said that he was working.


Mark S and I lined up a ride to Washington. I've never been there and I’m excited to see the sights. I went to the bank and got some money, Mr. B got us free tickets and he had a job for me. He gave me a check to pay for the camper tickets so I'll pick them up Sunday so when they arrive they wont have to wait in line. Mr. B got us comp tickets and even a box on Sunday to sit in…courtside! This guy has connections. Ive never seen a pro tennis match, I cant wait!

No comments: