Tuesday

Tuesday, June 28th, 1977



It was a bad night, Mark was snoring and woke me up, he’s as loud as those diesel trains on Fredregill Street in Pocatello. The trains roar through there six times a day, Jerry and Mom can tell the time by the train. Anyway, I couldn’t fall back asleep so I stared at the ceiling for a long time and listened to the crickets and watched a thunderstorm blow in from the east. It always rains hard in the summer and it smelled great.

When I went to breakfast I knew the clay courts would be iffy with all the rain. The clouds and the rain led to a feeling of gloom with all the counselors, we all had clouds over our heads because if the courts are not playable its in the gym. With just 6 courts and more than a hundred kids, that means around the world.

When we got to the courts it wasn’t too bad, the maintance guys were rolling the courts and adding hardtru to the puddles and things looked okay. Mr. B gave a speech on the volley and overhead, we had some demos and soon we were teaching. It was going slow because courts 12 and 13 were too wet to play. So that meant that we had a dozen kids per court and every counselor was doubled up. Tom S. walked around and tried to keep the peace. He would step in and give each counselor a break for water, we appreciated that more than he will ever know, it was the chance to regroup and recharge.

We finally made lunch…the balls were trashed from all the moisture…and around 12:30 it started raining again. When we got back down there at 1:00…we herded the kids into the gym and made the best of the situation with around the world. At one point I volley for more than two hours straight. I have the best volley from all the practice. Thank god the afternoon finally ended. Tom S. asked me to be on swim duty and I took the suit and swam with the kids it was refreshing.

The day is over, Im going to bed early. Mark is heading over to the girls dorm with Lenny and they are going to sing. The two make me sick because Mark has a voice and Lenny can play…I cant do either!

No comments: