Friday

Saturday, July 2nd, 1977


The tournament final got underway this morning, both matches wrapped up about 11:30. Then the Volvo stationwagons rolled in, the parents wearing Kaki's and Izod came and gathered their children. The kids are changed, they're confident and tanned, some are taller all a bit more grown up and the parents pick up on it right away.
The parents and their newly aquainted kids sat down at the big barbeque at Forde. They dined on excellent chicken and a great time was had by all. Mr. B talked to just about every parent and beemed the whole time with pride, he was in his element. The parents got to meet the counselors their kids had described in the letters home. Many posed for photos, addresses were exchanged and promises made to stay in touch.
After many hugs I headed back to the dorm lobby to watch the woman’s Wimbledon final. I found this note on my door from Mr. B. I thought of all the things I had done in the past three weeks but figured I was okay so I went to see the boss.


I knocked on the door and Mr. B said 'Wimbledon is just about to start, have a seat.' The TV in the lobby is in black and white, while Mr. B has color, I was in heaven, I was in the company of tennis royalty and we watched the tape delay of the Borg match. We had a great time with Mr. B telling us about the times he had been there, about the time he was there and had a heart attack, which was scary. After a while Riley joined us. I opted for Soda while Riley had a Beck’s beer.

At four we headed to the courts and I played X. He gave me some trouble, but I was able to run him a bit and prevail 7-5. I think watching Wimbledon got me in the right mood, I could have stayed out there all day. I took the second set 6-3.

A bunch of the counselors headed into Haggerstown for dinner and then stopped at the Stateline drive in theatre for a movie. It was classic, four hid in the trunk so there was plenty of left over money for beer. I stayed behind and went downtown for dinner with Mike Kunz and Lenny and afterwards we went to the girls dorm and hung out. It was very relaxing and uneventful. Mr. B went somewhere last night, but Im sworn to secrecy. It's big, real big.

No comments: