Wednesday

Monday June 20th,1977




Thank god I turned in early, it was scorching hot and humid today and with a hundred campers it was a heavy teaching load. We started video taping the girl campers yesterday and got them going again first thing, we didn’t start on the boys until 11. Mr. B is looking at stroke production, how they pull the racquet back, the swing, how they watch the ball. He is very sharp and doesn't miss a thing.

In the mean time on the clay courts we played a game called around the world and did what we could in terms of teaching. We won’t start on the forehand until tomorrow. We had a counselor on each court plus one in the viewing room behind the gym showing the tape. We also had the better players on the hard courts. Bobby and Tom V and Solomon and Feinberg were up there. Some of the advanced players are very good players.

Mr. B was on the gym balcony, Riley fed balls and Kunz videotaped, like yesterday Mr. B gave analysis on tape so the camper can hear his comments, it’s a very efficient operation….but its very tiring on everybody I was bushed and thought noon time would never come.

We had a fantastic lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches and tater tots, I must have drank a whole pitcher of milk. Mark sat at my table along with 12 campers. We chatted them up pretty good and we’re both aware of the fact that we have to be careful what we say at all times, we’re role models, so we just let them do the talking and we listened, the kids are so funny.

We got halfway through the afternoon and dark clouds blew in and it rained, it came down hard. We went inside the gym and it was loud, hot and not much fun. Pat Rowntree got nailed in the eye with a ball and I’m talking hard, real hard. It was so humid indoors that we were all soaked in sweat. The kids were exhausted. When we walked back to the dorms we were soaked again. Mr. B had the pool opened for the kids and they were excited about swimming. Pat, Liz, Chris Me, Riley were on pool duty. I didn’t swim just chatted with the girls.
Heres a list of the counselors:
Mark Sanderson…Massachusetts
Marc Solomon, Long Island, New York
Tom Sheridan, Dearborn Michigan
Eric Riley Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Doug Hamilton, Scotland, UK
Bobby Dickinson, Arlington, TX
Roger Dickinson, Arlington, TX
John Day, Wayne New Jersey
Kenny Feinberg, New York City
Pat Rountree, Toronto, Canada
Tom Vrana, New Jersey
Liz, Miami, Florida
Becky Craft Binghamton, New York
Chris Russell-Vick, London, England
Lenny Saks, New Rochelle, N.Y.
Jude Gatewood, Washington, DC
Mike Kunz-Long Island, New York
Jake Putnam, Pocatello, Idaho
Bevin Engman, Philadelphia
Xavier Combe, Paris, France


I’m still not playing well, I hit with this 12 year old by the name of Gwen and she ran me off the court. She hit deep to the corners and I struggled just to keep the ball back. Mr. B says she is ranked number 1 in NJ! The hit didn’t help my confidence a bit. Sandy tells me I worry too much, that I need to just get out and play and adjust to the clay rather than fight it. I think there is wisdom in his words. I was on dorm duty after dinner and just hung out and watched TV and kept an eye on the kids. The skies have cleared but it’s so humid. I wont be sleeping much tonight.

I found some cool posters upstairs and hung them up in the room, Mark brought a couple from home as well and the room looks good. Thank god I brought the alarm clock that Mom and Jerry gave me, Id be lost without WRCV FM!

I had the chance to chat with Bevin, all I can say is what a pair of blue eyes! She has a lot to say...and I was listening.

No comments: