Friday

June 12th, 1977 (Evening)


After meeting with Sheridan and Riley; Mark Sanderson and I realized that there are a lot of rules, we will be teaching at least 6-7 hours a day and then there are night duties with the kids.Tom says that Mr. B will be watching us close and won’t hesitate sending anyone home for drinking around the kids, in fact If we don’t do a good job we can be sent home at any time. That sent a chill through the counselors, Mark and I are scared.

We played again and Sanderson beat me 6-3, he has a big serve and I can't handle it, even on clay. When we get into the rally Im fine, I can take the pace off the ball, hit a deep ball and then I have a chance.I hit with another counsellor, his name is Lenny and he is from Cambodia, he is rooming with a guy from New Rochelle, NY by the name of Mike Kuntz. He's the video guy and both he and Lenny are good hitters and both go to Iona college. While Lenny has classic ground strokes, Mike K. is very fast with excellent footwork. Everyone is good around here, almost all played on college tennis teams. I cant wait to play some of the other guys.

Mr. B is the absolute boss around here and is feared and admired, I’ve noticed that he is very direct and honest and he doesn’t hold back, Tom says if he is pissed he will let you know. Mr. B drives around in a sporty brown 280 Z and he is everywhere. Charlie Fenske speaks highly of Mr.B and so far I can see why, driving up here yesterday I hung on every word, this guy can tell a story. He has a thick New Jersey accent and plays with Wilson Jack Kramer racquets, as do I.

During the season I was playing with Head Masters, I had two frames. I had great power with the racquet but could not keep the ball in. I needed something with some control, so I started hitting with the Jack Kramer racquet; Im using a 5 5/8 medium and I really like the feel. I hope I can sell the Head Master racquet I brought along.I called my Mom I miss her a lot, I am hoping that she will send some cookies soon!It’s Saturday night in Fowle Hall, the guys are out watching TV in the lounge, Saturday Night Live doesn’t come on until 11:30, so we will have to wait a while. Tomorrow the adults will start arriving for the weeklong adult session. Counsellors Ive met so far are Tom, Lenny, Mike, John Day, Eric Riley, another Scottish guy by the name of Doug Hamilton. There's a cute gal from Canada here, her name is Pat Rountree and she's very cute, tall, auburn hair and smart as a whip!

No comments: